When there is not enough lubrication in your eyes then they become dry. Dry eyes are a common condition in which the tear ducts are unable to produce sufficient lubricant to keep the eyes hydrated. There can be many reasons behind this condition. If the tears lack quality or your eyes do not produce enough tears then it results in chronic dry eyes. Even though it is a completely harmless condition it still causes irritation and redness which may be discomforting for some people.
Common symptoms of chronic dry eyes are as follows:
- Scratchiness in both eyes
- Sensitivity to light
- Difficulty with night time driving
- Blurred vision
- Fatigue in the eyes
There can be various causes behind dry eyes. As our eyes contain aqueous fluids, fatty oils and mucus, problems in either one of them can cause dry eyes. Decreased tear production may also be the possible cause behind dry eyes. Common causes of reduced tear production are allergic reactions, signs of aging, corneal nerve desensitivity or certain medications like antidepressants or antihistamines.
If this condition is not treated on time then it can lead to some serious consequences like eye infections, damage to the outer layer of eyes or difficulty in performing daily tasks. As tears protect the surface of our eyes, it is extremely important that our eyes produce enough tears to keep our eyes lubricated. Inflammation in eyes caused by any infection may also lead to loss of vision in severe cases.
Treating dry eyes on time can prevent you from serious infections. There are a number of home remedies that can cure dry eyes.
- Wash eyes thrice a day – this will keep the irritants away from the eyes and keep them clean
- Avoid getting air inside the eyes – avoid using car heaters or hair dryers as artificial air may trigger allergy
- Lessen the humidity in your home – try using a humidifier to add some moisture in your home
- Lessen the screen time – our computers, laptops and mobile phones contain laser technology which affects the eyes. Try to reduce screen time by taking some breaks between using them
- Use eye drops – you can get eye drops from a local pharmacist or you can buy Restasis eye drop coupon from PricePro Pharmacy as mostly pharmacists recommend these eye drops to treat dry eyes
- Avoid smoking – smoking causes dryness in eyes so it is better to stay away from smoke and avoid going to places where there are chemical fumes
- Put cucumber slices on closed eyes – cucumber slices provide a cooling sensation to the eyes which helps reduce the burning sensation and inflammation in the eyes
Dry eyes need prolong medical treatment. It is an ongoing condition and permanently needs attention. You can get your eyes checked from an eye specialist. He will recommend you some gels and eye drops to put in your eyes. They contain less preservatives and are known to reduce irritation. Sodium hyaluronate is an ingredient which helps in treating dry eyes. Most eye drops contain this ingredient.